Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Behind the times yet again...

But went and saw 'The Reader' last night and absolutely loved it...

I can't say that I had much interest in seeing it to be honest, I'm not a fan of war movies (particularly Nazi War movies - too upsetting) and although I love Kate Winslet's down to earth ways, I don't usually rush to see her movies either.

I just really felt like seeing a movie and 'The Reader' was the only option amongst some VERY slim pickings.

So, as it wasn't on my "Must See" list, I had NO EXPECTATION. And that is the key...no expectation, no disappointment. Very hard now days when a lot of the time, these movies are so super 'hyped' up and jammed down your throat but every media imaginable, it's hard not to have a preconceived idea.

But back to the movie at hand...I was mesmerized by it all. Kate definitely did an amazing job... I think that her Oscar was well deserved. But I was particularly impressed by David Kross, the young Michael Berg. Wow...blown away by his performance!

Don't get me wrong, this isn't light hearted viewing. It was heart rending in places and I blubbed...more than once. But overall I loved it and highly recommend it.

A favourite part for me was when the below passage out of Intrigue and Love/Love and Intrigue by Schiller was read...

'I'm not frightened. I'm not frightened of anything. The more suffering, the more I love. "Danger will only increase my love, it will sharpen it, it will give it spice. I'll be the only angel you need. You will leave life even more beautiful than you entered it. Heaven will take you back and look at you and say 'Only one thing can make a soul complete, and that thing is love.'


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home